Protection From Clenching and Grinding
Unfortunately, cavities and gum disease aren’t the only threats to your oral health. Nighttime clenching and grinding, also called bruxism, can lead to serious dental problems such as sensitivity, chips and fractures, and jaw pain. Fortunately, a custom-made nightguard will go a long way toward preventing these issues. If you’re one of the many people who suffer from bruxism and want to protect your smile from teeth grinding, give us a call today. Dr. Russo can give you custom-made nightguards for teeth grindings in our Orlando, FL dental office in just two appointments that will maintain your oral health for many years to come.
WHY CHOOSE JOHN E. RUSSO, DMD FOR NIGHTGUARDS FOR TEETH GRINDING?
How Does Teeth Grinding Affect Your Oral Health?
Teeth grinding at night affects millions of Americans or an estimated 8% of the population. Stress is often a factor, but this condition can also be caused by too much caffeine, bite alignment issues, poor posture, and sleep apnea.
Many people aren’t aware that they’re clenching and grinding, but since it can affect your oral health in several ways, Dr. Russo looks for the following signs and symptoms at every checkup:
- Cracks, fractures or chips, or a flattening of the chewing surfaces of your back teeth
- Jaw pain, clicking, or popping from chronic stress on your jaw joint (TMJ)
- Worn tooth enamel and subsequent sensitivity to temperature or chewing pressure
- Headaches or earaches
- A scalloped appearance on the sides of your tongue
The Benefits of Wearing a Nightguard
Wearing a custom-made nightguard won’t stop you from clenching and grinding, but it will cushion and protect your teeth from damage and reduce the pressure on your TMJ. These lightweight appliances are portable, comfortable, and easy to use and will help you avoid all of the issues mentioned above. And, ultimately, wearing a nightguard each night can help you prevent the need for major dental work.
With that said, it’s important to recognize that not all nightguards are created equal and that over-the-counter options aren’t as effective as what we can make for you.
The Importance of Using a Custom-Made Nightguard
Custom-made nightguards in Orlando are superior to store-bought appliances for multiple reasons:
- We use a digital scanner to take highly accurate “no goo” digital impressions using iTero of your teeth, without the use of uncomfortable putty. This allows us to create a nightguard that fits your mouth perfectly. A “one size fits all” appliance can’t come close to fitting as well, which has a big impact on how it feels and functions in your mouth.
- For patients with existing TMJ problems, an over-the-counter appliance can make them worse. With years of experience, Dr. Russo can design your nightguard with precision to correct any specific bite alignment issues that are creating pressure in your jaw joint.
- We use superior materials that are not only more durable and longer-lasting but more comfortable as well.
Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to stop yourself from clenching and grinding. But with a custom-made nightguard, you can avoid the serious consequences that go along with it!