March 27, 2019
During the month of April, we’re having a fundraiser to help out an amazing charity called Smile Train. They provide free corrective surgeries and therapy for children around the world who were born with cleft palate. This condition has devastating effects on a child’s physical and emotional health, but can be corrected with a surgery that costs as low as $250. For every dental implant procedure we start in April, we’ll make a donation that helps many children get the high-quality medical and dental care they desperately need. Not only can you restore your smile with implants from a dentist in Orlando that look and feel fantastic, but you’ll be making a huge difference in the lives of these children at the same time. Keep reading to learn more about the important work this charity is doing and how you can help!
What Is Cleft Palate and How Does It Affect a Child’s Health?
Cleft palate or cleft lip (often simply referred to as “cleft”) occurs when the lips or roof of the mouth don’t fuse together during fetal development.
If a child born with cleft doesn’t receive reconstructive surgery, they’ll face many serious challenges in their lifetime, including:
- Difficulty eating and breathing
- Very low self-confidence and/or shame
- An inability to speak or communicate clearly
- Hearing problems
What Services Does Smile Train Provide?
Reconstructive surgery is the first step in treatment, but Smile Train also provides the comprehensive care that children need afterward, including:
- Speech therapy
- Dental care
- Orthodontic treatment as needed
- Travel expenses if a family in poverty is unable to afford them
In addition, some children are so malnourished that they can’t safely have surgery. In these cases, Smile Train also provides food and medical care for 1-2 weeks beforehand.
Also, Smile Train has also provided critically needed training and education to surgeons and medical professionals in over 140 countries!
What Benefits Will You Get From Dental Implants?
Dental implants are widely regarded as the best way to replace missing teeth because they mimic your own natural teeth more than any other option. Here are some of the many benefits they provide:
- Dental implants stimulate and maintain your jawbone after tooth loss, so the appearance and structure of your face won’t change over time the way it can with dentures.
- Implants last for many decades, or even a lifetime, with basic care.
- Implants can be customized for any situation. For example, several missing teeth can be replaced with an implant-supported bridge, or an implant-retained denture can be used for an entire upper or lower arch of missing teeth.
- Implants look, feel and function like real teeth. That means you can eat hard, crunchy, or tough foods, smile with confidence, and speak clearly.
We feel very lucky to be in a position to help those in need. We also know that many of our patients are interested in getting dental implants but are simply waiting for an ideal time.
If this sounds like you, April is a great opportunity to not only improve your own oral health, but that of a child as well!
About the Author
Dr. John E. Russo is an award-winning family dentist in Orlando with 25 years of experience. He’s passionate about giving back and is excited to help people in underserved communities get the care they need to lead happy, healthy lives. If you’re interested in getting dental implants and helping a great charity at the same time, you can reach him with questions via his website.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.